Tomato Basil Soup and Grilled Cheese Bites!
- 3 pounds ripe plum tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp kosher salt
- 1 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 cups chopped yellow onions (approx. 2 onions)
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp butter – I left this out
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 28 oz. canned plum tomatoes with their juices – I used died tomatoes
- 4 cups of fresh basil leaves, packed
- 1 tsp thyme leaves
- 1 quart (4 cups) chicken stock (or water)
Preheat oven to 400 degree F.
In a large bowl, toss the tomatoes, 1/4 cup of olive oil, salt +pepper.
Spread the tomatoes in a single layer on the baking sheet. Roast for 45 minutes.
In a large stockpot on medium heat, saute the onions and garlic with 2 Tbsp of olive oil, butter (optional), and red pepper flakes for 10 minutes or until the onions begin to brown. Add the canned tomatoes, basil, thyme, and chicken stock. Then add the oven roasted tomatoes and include any of the liquid on the baking sheet. Bring to a boil and then simmer (uncovered) for 40 minutes. If you have a food mill, use that to pass the soup through. I used a Cuisinart to puree – mine was more on the chunky side – but you could also use a blender.
Serve hot or cold. Enjoy!
Post a Comment